Monday, February 27, 2012

"People are waiting for this word..."

Just answering questions this week:

1. Are you and Elder Woodward feeling better?
Yeah I'm feeling better. But Elder Woodward went to the hospital this week. While I was in a division (this is when we split up, go tracking with another Elder) Elder Woodward got really sick... apparently. He went to the hospital to find out nothing was wrong. I'm not exactly sure what is it.

2. So what was Carnaval like?

Well... to sum it up, it's a party full of sin. It's called the meat party. Haha and they are not referring to BBQ. It's like Marty Gras but, worse everyone is drunk or doing something horrible. It's kinda funny, because there are A LOT of Brazilians that do not like Carnaval, they say its horrible and this isn't coming from just LDS members.

3. Did you get to teach people this week or was it just too quiet because people were gone.
Well, this week we were able to teach some people after Carnaval. During the division with Elder Monteiro, I learned SO much! He is known as the baptizer in the mission. So, I learned a lot on how he baptizes. He told me his secret, it's so bold and simple. He told me the following... to be happy, you have to have a good teaching group. And to get a teaching group you have to find people with desire. And so I asked him, how do you find people with desire. Haha he laughed and said, you just ask them on the first visit. We did some practices and then put it into practice that day we found 11 people! This guy does not loose a minute. We ask if the person has ten minutes. We go in, and share our purpose. (this is the key, you have to tell them your purpose and they have to understand that you are there to help them to get baptized) Then, we share how Jesus Christ was baptized and ask, do you have the desire to be baptized like Jesus Christ was? A yes or no answer. If they say yes, you explain we will give them assignments and they have to fulfill them to know the truth, and ask if they will do it. And BAM! You found a person with desire in 10 minutes, from there they will do the rest, you don't need to `convince` it's quite amazing! SO simple and direct! It's working out so well!

4. What do the church members do during Carnaval?

Like EFY (Especially for Youth), they do a little camp for the kids and teenagers in the ward, so they don't get into trouble. I found that a really good idea!

5. Do you have a fridge? I know weird question. Do most members have fridges?
Haha yeah we have a fridge and freezer and pretty much everyone has a fridge.

6. How is your washing machine? Is it working?
Oh it's heavenly, I learned this week a pretty slick way to clean my ties. Haha to get almost any stain out of it.

7. Is there a McDonald’s there?

Heck yeah! But it's so expensive! They don't have a 99 cent menu. A big mac is usually, 7 reais. It's way expensive! And when I tell people here that they have a 99 cent menu in the states, they freak. I explain that fast food is cheap in the states, but fruits are expensive, they find it way interesting.

8. So did you completely stop teaching Joyce?
Yes. for now.... because we can't talk about baptism, so what would be our purpose.

9. What do you want me to do with the box you sent?
Haha well. I'll try to remember what all I put in the box. I know there are scripture cases in there. Those are for Eric, from the Sao Paulo temple. There is a little blue thing for you mom. You can put it on whatever you want. but usually, the girls put them in their hair. Haha but please don't do that mom. There is a Santos jersey in there for Alex, that has, Naymar on the back. Alex can wear the other jerseys at school one time. Haha but I bought the other for me. BUT! there is a Barcelona jersey with Messi on the back for dad. I bought it for way cheap, IDK (I don't know) if he will fit, but I bought it for him. The cup looking thing is mine; and the mug you guys can use. A member gave it to me. Does that help?

10.How is Danilo? So cool he can be baptized sooner? Does he have someone in the ward fellow shipping him?
Well...he has so many friend in the ward. He went to the Carnaval camp and made so many friends. He is going to church but his mom wont let him be baptized till the end of the year. BUT his dad said he could be baptized. BUT the mom is way stubborn. So I'll do the following. I'll give him the baptism document and tell his that he just needs to get his dad to sign it and he can be baptized. There is nothing else I can really do. We tried bringing the bishop and young men's president to talk to her about the program and what not. But she is stubborn.

11. Did you see Marli this week?
Haha we did. She doesn't have the desire to be baptized. End of story. But we love her to death. But we have to find more people and we will stop by every once in awhile.

12. Any new contacts this week?
SO many contacts! With Elder Monteiro we found a lot of people. The main people we found are Leonardo, Davi, and Rodrigo. All of them are references, and they all said they want to be baptized.

13.Have ward members been writing you?

The Evans! :) I'm still waiting from the Richardsons. Haha but not worries. I'm great :) Usually people forget the missionaries with 9 months out on the mission. And then the girls write on the last 6 months. Haha kinda sad, but whatever. I've heard a lot of missionaries that don't write back because we all know why the girls write on the last 6 months and not the whole mission.

But over all, I am great! After the division this week, I feel great! I am teaching more people than ever, and being more affective. There are always things we need to correct. But being bold and teaching simple is the easiest and best way, especially with a member. Just find the elect (those who want to learn about the gospel). Don't waste time with people who don't want to be baptized, even if its hard because you made a good relationship, but keep searching and you will find. People are waiting for this word. It's all about planning! I am fantastic! If you wanna a little taste of what always plays in the streets here. Ask Ma Wood for the name of the song. But it goes like this. Nossa nossa assim voce me mata. It's a HUGE hit here. Haha the lyrics are pretty funny. Aanyways, I love you all! Peace out

Love, Elder Firl

No comments:

Post a Comment